Sunday, March 22, 2009

A First

Part of my job at work is to pass along to offender's when a loved one has died. I HATE that part. I've never been very good at knowing what to say in these circumstances. This past week I had a call on Monday from a parole officer on the street and was informed that the father of an offender had passed away after an accident, so it was completely unexpected. The family wanted to be the ones to tell him; however that could only happen on a visit and we only have visits on SAT/SUN. So, on Wednesday morning, the family decided that the offender needed to know because he was going to get the local newspaper the next day and an acticle would be in it. So, Wednesday afternoon, I called the offender into my office and called "mom" so she could tell him over the phone. Once he heard, he went hysterical.....started screaming and yelling, stood up with the phone in his hand....now my office isn't very big so when he started screaming I knew I needed help because I had no idea what this guy might do....I stood up and attempted to go out the door to get help but realized this guy was in my way and there is no way I'm getting by him. Thank goodness I carry a radio and called over the radio for the officer to report to my office "NOW." I remember saying that on the radio....Lots of staff members showed up at my door.....that's pretty typcial, when a call for help has been made, custody comes running. Now I thought I was rather calm when I called for help on the radio. Apparently not, after talking with some other people who heard my call told me I sounded "frantic." Well I was! I've never had to make a call for help like that before. I've dealt with offenders when they are pissed off or angry, but not like this when the anger is understandable. So that was my excitment this week.

1 comment:

Rach said...

How scarey! I would have been panicked too.